<-->

1/25/10

Wasabi Sushi & Saki Lounge

When one thinks sushi one would be hard pressed to also think ‘Wisconsin’ but in the case of Wasabi Sushi Lounge, we were pleasantly surprised.

Family business took us to Waukesha this past weekend but curiosity took us to Wasabi’s in Brookfield, Wisconsin (http://www.wasabisakelounge.com/). What did the culinary gods have to offer us?

With the dread images of ‘cheese filled’ Maki and ‘beer dipped’ Nigiri dancing in our heads we ventured out to try the Asian Fare of suburban Milwaukee… and to our surprise, it was pretty good. Not great mind you and nowhere near the caliber of Morimoto in Philadelphia, but considering our locale it was still good.

We begin with the ambiance - which is energetic and the décor – which is tastefully pan-Asian. The faux bamboo was perhaps a bit over represented but as a package it’s a nice place to just sit, converse, dine and relax.
The cocktails were fair, with the Saki Mojito being far better in quality than the Ginger Martini which I found to be too briny for my tastes.

Our second course (Miso Soup) was standard Japanese sushi bar fare and nothing exceptional, but when the House Salad arrived (I have found that this element is most often neglected at Japanese restaurants) we all were surprised at the high quality of the dressing. Sweet, tangy, just a bit of bite from ginger and a whole lot more flavor than I was expecting.

As the time for the main course arrived, my wife selected the Teriyaki Chicken, and while she said it was good I felt that the flavors were a bit understated. My daughter and I ‘did the Sushi Boat’ and it was here (in my humble opinion) that Wasabi excels.

Delicate, graceful, a joy to the eye as well as the palette… this was why we had come here. If there is any negative surrounding the sushi it was that the rice was almost ‘not right’. It could have used just the slightest touch more of rice vinegar, but as I said… almost not right, so perhaps I am splitting hairs?

In all, it was a very pleasant experience and one that all of us would repeat in the future and I give it 3 ½ stars out of 5.
- Chez