<-->

7/22/10

Old Tavernier, Islamorada, Florida

After close to a week of seafood indulgence it was time to give our palettes a break from the fishy sustenance that we had been enjoying. Fate would have us visit the OLD TAVERNIER, located just as you enter the Islamorada Isles of the Florida Keys from the north (US-1).


In truth neither my wife nor I were expecting much. After all, Italian and Florida are not exactly synonymous. It was with great surprise that we found this particular establishment to be one that offers Italian food that is well within the preferred offerings of any fine Chicago-based Italian eatery.


The obligatory Dirty Martini graced our table first, and while the bar did not have blue cheese olives on hand, the waiter assured us that he would pack us some… and he did. The service at Old Tavernier is excellent. (Well, at least our server was.)


We moved on to the appetizer which was a platter of Buffalo Mozzarella Carprese with pungent balsamic vinaigrette. Most excellent and worthy of any 5-star offering.



With the order of our main courses, we were optimistically hopeful. Sheb ordered the Spaghetti in Meat Sauce and I opted for the Baked Manicotti, and to both of our delights they were fantastico! Both dishes had all of Old World Italy imbued into them and while I could almost have asked for just the slightest increase in my oregano content (in the sauce), both were very good.


As the dessert course neared, I ask myself, “Should I risk it? Should I ask for the Crème Brule?”
Sadly, I answered yes and to my disappointment it was SO NOT right. The main culprit was the very dish it was served in… a soup bowl? What, no ramekins? Be still my Brule-wounded heart. Sheb took the easy route and ordered the Key Lime Pie, and she reports that it was great. Well, sure… they make the limes here, but to make the perfect Brule… that is skill.


So, what is the final evaluation? That’s easy! This place is a keeper and deserves to be on your culinary seeker-list when in the area. Just order something other than the Brule when the dessert cart rolls out.



- Chez